Why I Chose Track

Growing up in a family of all athletes, I didn't really have a choice, but to play sports. A little background about my family's athletic ability. Both of my parents were collegiate athletes. My oldest brother played division 1 football player, my brother who is a year younger than me plays football at Notre Dame, and my youngest brother is in 8th grade and will more than likely play division 1 lacrosse. Other than my immediate family my uncle played football at Georgia Tech, his son plays football at Yale, and I have another uncle who played football and was a national champion wrestler at Princeton. You could say that athleticism is something that I was blessed with. I started dancing at age 2, and it all went from there. I then played soccer and Tee-ball, and later would later start baseball, competitive cheerleading, and gymnastics. Once I got to middle school I narrowed it down to volleyball and track. I did this combination all the way up into high school. I was actually a better volleyball player than runner, but my heart was on the track. I fell in love with the sport in the 5th grade, and I have loved the sport ever since. I was really into volleyball until I came to the realization that I was too short to play in college. I played for multiple nationally ranked team, that would travel all over the US to play. While I played volleyball from the end of summer and partly into spring, I was also running track. I would have track from late fall all the way to the start of school in the fall. I eventually had to give up one sport because it was getting to be too much on my body. I played school and club volleyball, and I also ran school and club track. I chose to continue to run track. I wasn't sure at the time, but in the end I knew I made the right choice. I miss volleyball like crazy and always joke about going back, but track was and still is the perfect fit for me.

Comments